Should You Choose Dental Implants or Dentures?
For people who have multiple missing teeth, it can be difficult to decide whether dental implants or dentures are the best choice. Both have their advantages, which is why an appointment with Dr. Angela Cotey is the best way to make the final decision. She regularly helps patients understand the pros and cons of dental implants and dentures.
The Advantages of Dental Implants
In the past 20 years, the technology related to surgically placed dental implants has improved tremendously. Thus, there are plenty of advantages to choosing this procedure:
- Dental implants are permanent and require no special treatment.
- Dental implants look like natural teeth.
- The posts of dental implants stimulate the jaw bone just like the roots of natural teeth.
- Dental implants afford patients the ability to eat and drink whatever they like.
- Dental implants help people speak more clearly.
- Dental implants help to maintain positioning of surrounding teeth.
Dental implants are covered under some dental insurance plans. To find out more, call Dr. Cotey today.
The Advantages of Dentures
People may choose dentures if they feel the following benefits are more suited to their needs:
- Removable dentures can be taken out for cleaning and while sleeping.
- Dentures can be created to look aesthetic.
- Dentures are an economical tooth replacement option.
The one caveat to think about when considering dentures is that they do not prevent future bone loss in areas of missing teeth. Therefore, it is possible for the bone to deteriorate with removable dentures.
There are many factors that will determine your candidacy for dentures or dental implants. Let Dr. Cotey help you make the right choice for your lifestyle and desires.